Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Welcome to the Jungle

Photobucket

You know where you are, you're in the jungle baby. STAABB is back. I just got home from a week of sun, music, art, and some lover boy shit down in Miami. Florida is full of whack jobs but Miami was legit. The culture is booming, graf was ill, and oversized rims ride slow. I went to visit STAABB’z main homegurl, Miami Sunshine. For those of you who don’t know Sunshine, she is the source of a lot of STAABB’z musical insight and has led me to many artists that I love dearly today. She is the director of the University of Miami's radio station, 90.5 WVUM…The Voice. Sunshine is responsible for a lot of cool changes to the station and in my eyes and I’m sure many others she is major contributor to growing art and music scene in Miami. WVUM is a major station in Miami and has many listeners. They have unveiled a new website for the radio station that will be up and running in a few weeks. I have seen all of the designs and concepts for it…it looks diamond. If you would like a preview of the site and to listen to the live stream go to www.wvum.org. I had the opportunity of sitting in on her show and getting down with the latest dopeness. Whenever I deflate my ego and allow her to make suggestions she always surprises me with some fabulous new music. Our tastes are not the same but they definitely overlap from time to time. I have the pleasure of featuring one of her gems today on STAABB. So for your listening and viewing delight here is Air France’s video for their track… “No Excuses”



With the anniversary of Fat Pat’s death last week I started listening to a lot of purple drank Houston hip hop. If you don’t know who Fat Pat is remind yourself with the classic track…Wanna Be a Baller… “hittin the highway making money the fly way.” Texas cats live slow, sip on lean daily, stay with dope whips, smash big big booty queens, and never hesitate to throw down an ill gangster bboy BBQ on the block. This track is so dope get with this throwback in memory of Fat Pat…RIP

Fat Pat… “Tops Drop”


I found this famous MSK wall off the interstate in North Miami that blew my mind. It was painted very recently, I believe at the end of the fall 2008. I have seen flics of this wall before but to see it in person was a treat and a half. This kind of shit makes my eyes water. The wall went around an entire building and the main wall housed some of the world’s top writers from the MSK crew. These cats are the same to graffiti as someone like Jay Z is to hip hop. I am happy to say that these are my own flics of the wall. These are the heavy hitters known as Ewok, Rime, Sever, and Revok. If you would like the full size flics let me know I’ll hit you up. These pieces are huge. The wall is probably 15ft high. So dope.

Ewok
Photobucket

Rime
Photobucket

Sever
Photobucket

Revok
Photobucket

No comments: